Sunday 31 August 2014

egpu mk ii part 2

After a couple of days relaxing break including a nice ride down to the coast yesterday I had another look and the ezegpu today.

First task was just to create a common 'demo' frontend which can be linked to different backends so I can easily test different cases. I then created a backend based on the current mk ii state.

Well, I guess I jumped the gun a bit the other day by testing it with a poor example of large and mostly coincident triangles. Using the star-grid test the implementation is considerably faster than the line based renderer. The test code uses slightly different parameters but a 4x4x4 star test is now hitting 57fps vs 35fps for the line-based version, versus 31fps for single-core arm.

Then I upped the test to 8x8x8 stars (total of 4096 triangles) and zoomed out a bit and now the improved primitive input stage and 2d grouping really starts to show it's paces: 22fps vs 7fps. The single-core ARM code is coping a bit better at 11fps.

Well that was nice to see I guess.

I guess i'll have a look through the points of the last few posts to decide what to look at next.

No comments: